Friday, April 23, 2010

Today I blog.

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

-Stephen King, The Dark Tower.

I finished the series this morning. I must commend King on his story telling abilities. While I'm still undecided on his writing style. The story was great. And the ending, perfect. It was an unusually long trek for me, spanning the course of about six months I guess. With a long laborous side track into the STAND, which I didn't particularly enjoy, and for nought other than Jay said it was desperate to include in my journey with Roland. What a crock....

Anyway, job hunt is still on. I'm in the process of working on a mini project for a job I've applied for. I'm hoping quite strongly for this one to work out. It will put me in a very good spot. It's in Gallatin, not far from where Jay will be working and we can love comfortably between the two. It's not my ideal job, but great experience and for a good job. Plus it puts me a little close to the playing field. All this time I've been focusing my energies on broadcast and radio and production stuff, but just recently I've decided that I think I would be happier, and more productive on the copywriting side of advertising. It's frustrating to realize things like this, when it seems almost too late. My portfolio is weak, and it's a stab at myself more than anything. I spent more time college working to pay bills than I did working on really great projects to add beef to my portfolio, generally just turning in something to get the grade, when just a few hours extra work could've given me so much more. It's my own fault. If this new opportunity works out, I'll have some time, and hopefully the money to buy a computer on which to work on my portfolio and quietly edge myself into a place I REALLY want to be. May take a couple years, but good stuff takes time.

I'm also on the hunt for a mentor. I'm looking for someone in the field who's willing to have lunch with me a couple times a month maybe. Talk about my work, their work, the industry, and help me network. Here's to hoping for people who are willing to help. It's difficult for me because I don't necessarily consider myself a people person. I have a surprisingly strong social quota, and once its full I'm liable to leave you sitting in my living room while I go to bed. However, while I'm on, I'm on! I'm very personable, and socializing comes easy to me as long as it isn't mundane and pointless small talk and chatter just to fill the void of silence. People should be more comfortable with silence. But for me, breaking the ice is the hard part, because I'm almost more comfortable sitting in silence just staring at you, however weird. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy company, it's just harder for me to initiate things like that. I'm going to work on. Networking is going to force me to, and it must be done.

I know I've said this before, but I'm on a mission to write more. Whether it be poetry or just blogging in general. I can't expect to hold on to a talent that I don't use regularly. (Jay you should take that to heart about your ART )(And I say that out of love and longing to see you create.) Reading more is also on that list. Reading inspires me. So I'm aiming to start blogging and writing creatively at least once a week from now. Everything hinges on this job it feels. Because it will grant me a set schedule, a professional work place, and a more structured agenda which to work with throughout a day. Wish me luck.


here are some copy exercises from the week for a kiwi
KIWIk fix
Hot fuzz
Strawberry's better half
better under the bush

0 comments: